5/4/10

Yoga Round #2


I think I may not be cut out for yoga. I went again tonight with my little sister Kara (who graduates in just 4 weeks!!!) and Jenna. I just LOVE toting my cute green yoga mat into the class and attempting to look like I know what I'm doing when in all reality I have NO CLUE!!! The class started with an asian lady instructing whom I could NOT understand!!! Warning signs went off a bit in my head telling me to run for the hills. After a moment of self debate I decided to stick it out. Boy was I a fool!!! This chick had us down dog straight to plank holding for "just 30 seconds" (yes, pure torture!!!) to cobra. That would be fine if A... I had any idea what those were B... My hamstrings weren't already on fire and tight from yesterdays hour of torture and C... I had ANY core strength. My body was shaking UNCONTROLLABLY!!! The next move that we had to do was to plant one leg on the floor with the coordinating hand right next to it while putting the opposite leg and arm in the air, pointing the toe to the ceiling AND breathing. My neighbor who shall remain nameless began to lose balance and toppled over threating to create a dominoe effect of falling victims in her wake. Meanwhile, little sis to my right is moving through the class like its the easiest thing she's ever done. At one point I was sweating SOOO profusely and breathing so heavy I thought I might pass out and that instructor needed to stop telling me to pull my belly button into my spine. Trust me lady, if I could do it, I'd walk around like that all of the time. When we finally got to go to "resting position" on our bellies I was ECSTATIC! Then she told us to inhale deeply and grab our ankles behind our backs and lift our pelvis off of the ground. HUH?! How the HECK was I supposed to get my ankles up to where my hands were?! I almost rose my hand and asked for assistance when I decided I was too prideful and HELD my breath and pushed and grabbed as quickly as I could holding on for dear life once I had position of my ankles. There was no relaxation involved in that pose for me!! Just a bunch of something getting pulled in my quads and shoulders!!! The other one that was rediculous was crossing my legs (standing on one), crossing my arms and getting into the sitting position. This chick has obviously not witnessed the difficulty that I have in doing a regular squat let alone this crazy, 'i'm sitting in mid-air' pose!!! PS... can you give me an easier move cuz I'm dyin' over here!!!! For any of you avid yoga-ers, my hat is off to you. Good job. I think I may return to yoga once my abs, obliques, hammies, pecs and arms stop burning when I merely inhale deeply... I'm sure that I'm entertainment at the gym. People see this little roley poley attempting to seem all relaxed, flexible and inshape- yeah, I haven't convinced anybody!!!


28 lbs down today in just 9 weeks!!! :)

2 comments:

Chris, Aubrey, and Karsten said...

Nickie, I am with you, yoga is soooo much harder than it looks! Way to go! You look great, I love your updates! Keep it up!

Miller Family said...

Way yo Nickie! I am so proud of you! Keep going strong girl! I miss seeing you!