7/23/08

Today the book store made me sad

Normally the thought or mention of a book store makes my heart race, excitement flow and I acquire an itch to purchase no less than 3 books at a time. I am an avid reader and I enjoy reading almost anything... well, almost. I got a gift card to Barnes and Noble and decided to swing by after work today to possibly pick up a new read or even a sketch book (a new hobby I'd like to devote some more time to). It was cool on my way over I had been praying through a few things that I have been challenged by lately and one was to practice being a good Samaritan (a message from Luke taught recently by Jake Dietrich). I've been feeling convicted that I don't get out of my "bubble" enough and come into contact with the world and share the love of Christ. Literally as soon as I pulled up and got out of my car a woman came up (her name was Lakisha sp?) and asked if I could give her money for a bus ticket (her and her sister were stranded and needed to get to SD). They needed $16 and she said that they would have to leave their car there to be towed. I NEVER have cash but today I did! I gave the woman the money against the better judgement of the other man that she had asked for money from and told her that I hoped that that would get her where she needed to go. I also gave her a copy of Seeking and Savoring Jesus by John Piper. I proceeded to the store leaving the woman and man in the parking lot. The man caught up to me in the store and told me that as soon as I walked into the store the ladies got into their car and drove off. He was furious that they had conned me. I have to admit at first, I was a bit peeved but suddenly realized that my heart was to give to that woman no matter what she did with what I gave her. I used the opportunity to share that with the man and we got to have a brief conversation about caring for one another and displaying Christ's love. He shook his head and told me that one day I'd realize that I can't trust people. It made me sad- sad for our world, for the man (his name was Drake) and sad that I have been so blinded and distracted from sharing with the lost world. Praise the Lord that he gave me the opportunity to act on what had just been laid on my heart! I want to continue to pray for both the man and woman that I spoke to today and for their salvation.

After that I meandered through the book store looking for whatever caught my eye. The problem was, the only thing catching my eye were self help, how to's and ____ for Dummies books. Brothers and sisters, our world is trying to "fix" themselves and their seeking that help from those who do not know Christ (at least most of them). This should sadden us. Even the "Christian" section of the store is littered with writings from prosperity gospel preachers or "uplifting" writers. We need to commit to pray for those who are lost around us. I've begun a study through the book of Isaiah and completed my study of Chapter 1. Read it, study it, see the seriousness that God, through Isaiah speaks of in regards to non repentant hearts and that His judgement on them will not cease until they are destroyed. Also we need to reach people before their hearts are hardened and are no longer able to accept the truth of the gospel and our need for a Savior.

I pray that this post would not be a downer but an encouragement to purpose to go out (outside of our bubbles) with a burden for the lost and share the gospel.

No comments: