8/29/08

Coocoonut


Yes, by now I think that anyone who knows me at one time or another has questioned whether or not I am nuts. Well, I just might be! Funny story here... sometimes I wonder if I lack common sense or if I just have the inability to think through things before I say them. Well my friend Pogo turned 25 this week (Happy Bday Pog!). Tori, Terry and I planned a suprise party! (Yes, I LOVE parties!) Well, Sara Bennett (another friend) and I went shopping Thursday night for the food stuff so that I could begin to prepare. I made a grocery list (which I NEVER do) and even planned to go to multiple stores to get the best bang for my buck. Our first stop was Plowboys (I like that place!) I got a ton of produce for really cheap. Since stuff was so cheap I decided to buy some strawberries so that we could have some chocolate dipped. Also, coconuts were on sale so I thought it would be a brilliant idea to buy one and grate it so that our chocolate dipped strawberries could have coconut on the outside (sounded good to me!). Here's where the questionable part of the story comes in... Sara questions whether or not it will be difficult to get the coconut open. I actually rolled my eyes at her and I believe said, "no way" or something like that. I told her that "all we needed was a really sharp knife". She concedes and allows me to buy the thing so that I can carry out this kakamame (I haven't the first clue how to spell that but LOVE that word- pronounce: caw-caw-mame-ee) plan. See little did she know I'd never even used coconut in a recipe, let alone purchased a whole one!!! When she and I went to the Schleiger's today to begin cooking, Terry asked me what the coconut was for. I began to explain and she interupted. "Wait, WHAT were you going to use to open up that coconut?!" I replied, "a really sharp knife". She laughed at me! Apparently you need something just short of a chain saw to open the thing. I was also amazed that there was "water" inside which I later found out was coconut milk- SWEET! (Think PUBLIC EDUCATION!) Well, needless to say Sara and I found packaged coconut at the store which would've saved us a ton of work and would've also preserved my now wounded pride. Also, Guy reminded me of the movie, Castaway, so I guess all I really need is an ice skate! Shoot, made for a laugh and funny story. Who knew coconuts were near impossible to penetrate?! Apparently everyone BUT me! :)

1 comment:

Natasha said...

Those things are impossible to open! Erick's mom sent the boys one from Maui and Erick had to use 3 different saws to get that coconut open!