
Boy. According to the Webster’s dictionary, the word is defined as a male child, youth or son. Wikipedia has an even funnier definition, which connotes an immature man. Whichever way you wanna slice it I hung out with the epitome of this definition last night! I also got a glimpse into the other hemisphere and their bonding rituals but it was a blast and took me back to my not so distant past when I in fact was that girl. The one who hangs out with all the guys. The girl who had no idea that this (hanging with mostly or all guys all the time) was not necessarily the best thing for a 20-something female who desperately needed the influence of other women in her life to challenge her to be feminine and all that that entails! Trust me, I mean this in the most endearing way. I love my “boys” and I often feel as if I am the protective mama bear looking out for my bear cubs but things in my sphere have changed a bit and I’d forgotten how interesting things could be with the boys. Let me explain how the evening began. First, it was B-rad’s birthday… the big 24! WOW! We were chatting on the phone when I asked what he would be doing to celebrate. He shared that he and Matt were hanging out and grabbing dinner when he got this notion that it would be cool for me to hitch a ride with Matt and come along. After speaking to Matt, he asked me to drive and since I was now driving and own the resident “mom mobile” aka “the Beast”, we had more room for more people so we added Joe to the list of guests. The ride up included me sticking my hand out to Matt for a high five and getting in return a lick of the tongue on my open palm (GROSS!). I shrieked, Joe and Matt laughed. I had to help Matt out and pluck an unruly nose hair with my bare hand and then there was the constant complaint that I was driving too slow (let me say I was going 75 which is speeding!). Then they kidnapped my cell and logged onto my facebook leaving random comments from “me” to others and Matt having a text conversation with one of my unsuspecting girlfriends who thought he was me. Oh yes, Joe in my ear singing Bob Marley and then playing the drums on my shoulders and head. It was a crazy car ride! Upon arrival and Brad not answering his cell the guys pondered whether or not they could scale the wall of the on campus (BIOLA) apartments to get in. And once they got in they had a key to Brad’s apartment? Um no… so what was the point of climbing up there then? All I knew was when Joe said he’d give me a boost I was OUT! I was so ready to get in my car and hide there… there would be no “boosting” of me anywhere. I don’t boost well and I think he underestimated my current specs or maybe over estimated his current strength? Any way, luckily an unsuspecting student and her family opened the door for us to which we found Brad and were made to greet the apartment mascot named “Oswald” a wooden dinosaur skeleton that they swooped up from somewhere on campus. He was specific in reassuring me that they did not steal it! We all piled into Brad’s 1970-something
Volkswagen Bus and off we were in search of a suitable eating establishment for our motley crew. Along the way I listened mostly. They were talking about girls, cars and music and inside I was cracking up! Their dating philosophy’s were funny to me and even their criteria for girls was humorous. Dinner conversation was fun and we got to talk a little Reformed Theology as well as a little about what was going on in our lives. It was cool chatting with these guys who at different times I’ve been really close to and I realized that I missed having these talks with them. The ride back to BIOLA was a very entertaining one. Joe was adamant that he’s going to set up a profile on e-harmony for me and find someone that is just like him (I thought that was hilarious! So that HE would like the guy?! Yeah, that’s high up on my priority list for a husband- “Must like Joe”). They were giving me dating advice… apparently I hang with too many married couples and when I hang out with the girls I’m never going to meet anyone because that’s intimidating… well, guess I’m outta luck. (And the sovereignty of God fits in where exactly in that logic???) They mean well. We got back to the apartment to play a little Mario Kart (which I stink at) 
and I think I won 1 out of 8 games. We said our farewells and I was sad to say goodbye to Brad. Joe already assumed his position in the backseat determined to sleep the whole way home but I don’t know how anyone could with Matt’s loud, off-key singing (and the lyrics he sang were NEVER the same as the artist singing). A little over an hour later we arrived safely back at my home where I realized that I missed my hang out time with the boys a lot. More importantly I realized that I’m growing up and I’m a girl now and time with the boys is VERY different for me than it was 2 years ago… it just doesn’t fit the same. So I guess I’m not one of the guys after all. 
Volkswagen Bus and off we were in search of a suitable eating establishment for our motley crew. Along the way I listened mostly. They were talking about girls, cars and music and inside I was cracking up! Their dating philosophy’s were funny to me and even their criteria for girls was humorous. Dinner conversation was fun and we got to talk a little Reformed Theology as well as a little about what was going on in our lives. It was cool chatting with these guys who at different times I’ve been really close to and I realized that I missed having these talks with them. The ride back to BIOLA was a very entertaining one. Joe was adamant that he’s going to set up a profile on e-harmony for me and find someone that is just like him (I thought that was hilarious! So that HE would like the guy?! Yeah, that’s high up on my priority list for a husband- “Must like Joe”). They were giving me dating advice… apparently I hang with too many married couples and when I hang out with the girls I’m never going to meet anyone because that’s intimidating… well, guess I’m outta luck. (And the sovereignty of God fits in where exactly in that logic???) They mean well. We got back to the apartment to play a little Mario Kart (which I stink at) 
and I think I won 1 out of 8 games. We said our farewells and I was sad to say goodbye to Brad. Joe already assumed his position in the backseat determined to sleep the whole way home but I don’t know how anyone could with Matt’s loud, off-key singing (and the lyrics he sang were NEVER the same as the artist singing). A little over an hour later we arrived safely back at my home where I realized that I missed my hang out time with the boys a lot. More importantly I realized that I’m growing up and I’m a girl now and time with the boys is VERY different for me than it was 2 years ago… it just doesn’t fit the same. So I guess I’m not one of the guys after all. 
2 comments:
I am so glad you have joined our side!
I just want you to know that I thoroughly enjoyed this blog post.... very entertaining! Gotta love those guys, but glad to hear you are now "one of the girls" :)
Post a Comment