I kind of feel "official" at my new church now (FBC). I'm not even sure if that's how to explain it but I guess I don't really have to justify the way that I feel anyway! :) I joined the ladies of FBC for fall D-group (discipleship) and we started last night. The presentation of discipleship was a bit different than I'd ever been taught. My perception and understanding had always been that of life on life or one on one such as Paul and Timothy. Paul being the older, pouring into and teaching Timothy through his life and their time together. Robert explained it from another angle. From the perspective of Christ and the disciples. Christ didn't spend one on one time with them it was always he and the twelve with he and the inner circle being together at times but not one on one. HMMM... I have to admit I was and am thrown off by this. Who better to be our example than Christ but I'm a bit confused by my longtime knowledge being disrupted. This is something that I've committed to personally study and pursue. It's certainly not a stumbling block for me or a hindrance but something that I owe the time to studying and researching to in order to stay true to the Word of God.
D-Group is NOT a Bible Study. Bible studies are great but I think that the perception of bible study is more- well... study and less transparency in life? More head knowledge and not heart examination. There can certainly be both but from my experience discipleship carries a more introspective (or is it interspective? SHOOT!) whatever it is, I mean a time of self examination, transparent time where as a group/body we strive to be more like Christ. I loved the scripture that we read (Matt 28 and Hebrews__) surrounding our responsibilities as believers.
I also have the opportunity to be in a pretty incredible group if I might take the liberty to say so. (well, it's my blog so I guess it's my liberty! :) It's kind of nostalgic. Tracy Dodson and Holly Miller are the leaders and Tracy led my discipleship group when I was in jr high/highschool. They're both great and I can't wait to learn from them as well as the other incredible girls in my group. I look forward to seeing evidences of deepening relationships with Christ as well as eternal relationships which will be formed. We will be studying Titus 2- loving husbands, kids, etc.
1 comment:
Don't you love our group!? I am really excited for this Fall, and SO looking forward to God changing me.
Post a Comment