5/22/08

Contentment, Parenting and Demons, WOAH!

Life has been INSANE lately!!! I guess I shouldn't really say that. Can't it always get busy and get to the point of feeling chaotic? I think that's always the sign to slow down and be still for a minute. Well, I've got a lot going on this summer and I think I've mentally prepared myself for all that needs to be done but more importantly I want to and need to get spiritually prepared.
I had the opportunity to attend a Women's Conference last Saturday with the women of FBC. The speaker was a woman named Betty Price. She was a woman probably in her late 50's (I would guess and I HOPE I'm guessing right!), she's worked at the Master's College for many years, has gone to other countries to share the gospel and has faithfully served in her church body. The thing that stood out to me about this woman is that she is single and has been her entire life. Of course, this completely peaked my interest! Betty began speaking and pretty quickly in it became clear that the message was on contentment. (I thought it was appropriate. Single woman, talking about contentment. SWEET!) She did not camp on the fact that she was single but certainly did use her testimony of singleness and a little about how that has played into ministry for her as well as her growth. The point was, no matter where we are in our lives- single, married, young, old, etc- we will battle our flesh in wanting what we don't have and being of the mindset that if I just have this or that then I will be content. Contentment is found in 1. Loving Christ with all our heart, mind and soul and 2. Having a love for others. That is where true contentment will come from. I know that I'm not giving the day justice but I was completely encouraged and challenged and I'm so thankful that I went.
"Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content..." Phil 4:11 Contentment is learned through experience. I will never wake up one day just suddenly content. Just like Paul I need to know however that it is the strength of Christ that gets us through, brings strength and builds contentment.
Next was Sunday morning. Chris is preaching through Ephesians and we've completed the section of scripture regarding marriage and the roles of men and women. He started chapter 6 and we've entered into the parent/child relationship. Who knew that I would get so much out of it!!! I'm enjoying this book so much. God's Word and the Holy Spirit are faithful to challenge and expose our hearts. Something that Chris challenge that I in turn was challenged by was when he addressed parents and questioned if they label their kids as "good" because they don't do things like smoke, drink, swear, etc. The absence of these things does not automatically mean that "goodness" or godliness is present. This challenged me. Do I live my life as a believer who says to myself, "I haven't done this that or the other thing, so I'm doing great!" or do I question the depth of my heart? So practical but good to go back to in order to be sure that I haven't stepped away from the gospel. In his book, Respectable Sins, Jerry Bridges challenges believers to preach the gospel to themselves daily (as does CJ Mahaney in his books the Cross Centered Life and Humility). I think I'm beginning to see the importance of this practice.
Sunday night was great as well... Erick is taking us through the book of Luke and we were in chapter 8 this week. We studied the man who was demon posessed. He talked about sin and the effects it has...
* Sin Steals Dignity- (vs 27 the man ran around with no clothes)
* Sin Destroys Relationships- the man was alienated and alone
* Sin Alienates from God- (vs 28 the man yelled at Jesus to get away)
* Sin Enslaves but Gives False Empowerment
* Sin/Demons are Destructive (they drove the pigs into the lake to drown after having been cast into them)
Also, the cost of a soul is great. It's the death of Christ on the cross.
We as believers have a story of deliverance to be told. Am I recognizing the worth of a saved soul and seeing opportunities that God is giving me to be a part of sharing His truth with people who don't know Him? I was greatly challenged by the teaching of the Word I experienced this weekend and am excited at the chance to continue to reflect on the passages shared in order to draw closer to the Lord.

No comments: