4/2/08

Testimony 4- Sandy Walker and Tracy Rice

Adjusting to the new arrangements in my life was a challenge. The larger challenge was being young in age as well as in my relationship with the Lord. I wasn't really sure what to do with myself. Was church enough, did my life need to change, who was going to teach me these things?

Enter Sandy Walker. Not only had the Lord given me an amazing friend (Tracy Rice) but her mom became a HUGE part of my life! She wasn't your typical Leave it to Beaver mom. She'd be quick to call me out on stuff, to tell me to suck stuff up but most importantly she pursued a relationship with me and would TALK to me. She'd ask me how I felt about different things going on in my life, she'd share the Word with me to encourage me and she would challenge me toward growth as a believer. She would tell me how to read my Bible, she'd explain how to apply it to my life and she'd pray with me. Today, she is not in my life but I will never forget the impact that she had on me during my childhood and teenage years. She was a mother to me. The Lord allowed my mom to leave and to continue to allow extremely tough situations when I did see her, but He loved me and provided for me someone to step into the shoes and become more than an earthly mother who would nurture me but a spiritual mother who would invest in my eternity. If you know her, you know what an amazing woman that she is- if you don't I pray that you could know someone like that who is so determined to reach out, minister and to love- but most of all to serve the Lord. She taught me so many things! She was there for a lot of my "girl" stuff and I'm sure that was a relief to my dad. The two "girl" things that he had to deal with I think made his hair turn gray or may have knocked a few years off his life. If I was sure that only girls read my blog I'd share the purchasing of undergarments stories because I seriously think that is the FUNNIEST thing that has ever happened to me (although at the time, I was pleading to die!). Sandy was there. So many memories involve that family and I cherish them- even more so today since they are not involved in my life but I know that I will see them in heaven! Tracy (Sandy's daughter) was the product of a godly mother. Anyone who knows her would agree. She always had an amazing heart. I think I was that "bad" friend that you're always a little hesitant as a parent to let your child have. Tracy would encourage me to "be good". She would ask me what I was reading in my bible, memorize scripture with me and hold me accountable to going to church (they were my ride though so they'd pretty much just show up to get me). Through knowing these two I got to see a few things that I don't know that I've ever really considered before now: I got to see what a Christ honoring, mother-daughter relationship looked like and they also demonstrated lives who were seeking to please God. I pray that the Lord would bless them for their lives and the impact that they had on me in growing to know and understand the things of God.
Jon and Tracy (Rice) Montoya with their girls Macy and Marian


Sandy,
In this season in my life you are not a part of I still hold dear the things that you taught me, the conversations that we shared, and the love that you showed to me. I miss you and I love you. The Lord truly used you in such an amazing way in my life. He allowed you to be a part of my story. To step into a role that is precious to children and to nurture me both on an earthly level as well as on a spiritual one. You taught me that the Lord is to come first before all things. That knowing Him is the only thing that means anything to us. You taught me what it is like to allow people to love you after being hurt and that it is okay to share that hurt and allow others to carry the burden with you. It's amazing to me that the Lord allowed me to know you and let you be a part of my life. I pray that He would use me to glorify and serve Him the way that He has you.

Nickie

Tracy,
I look back at the years that we have known each other and I laugh. God has brought us each so far! (Praise the Lord!) You have always been such a sacrificial friend both to me and others. You have also been faithful... That's a word that I think characterizes who you are. I thank God for allowing you to be a part of my life- for giving us memories to share and for allowing a friendship that can endure because He is the center. God has allowed us to travel two very different paths in our lives but we have a friendship that will last through eternity because we are His children! Thank you for your encouragement to me. Thank you for your continued prayers through the years. I pray that you would read my "story" and be blessed at the sight of God's grace as I have. God is good huh? I love you- thank you for sharing your family with me.

Nickie


No comments: