2/2/08

Babysitting for the Dodson's Part II






According to the Websters New World Dictionary, the definition for exhaustion is to be used up. To empty completely or to be drained. To be tired out. The discharge of used steam, gas, etc. from an engine. Great fatigue. When I just looked that up I'm a little disappointed to see that there is no huge picture of Pogo and I next to it. I can't speak for her but I am used up, I'm completely drained, I can say that I'm definitely tired, there's no more gas or steam left in this engine and I am fatigued! I'm thinking if I qualify for all of the above Mr Webster, or whoever makes the decision, should put a stinkin' picture of me in their dictionary! Obviously there's a little steam left since I'm posting this so I guess I shouldn't be so dramatic. Here's a run down of my day:

First, see the previous blog and the email that I received late last night which included the itinerary for my day. I had to ask myself as I was laying in bed, "can you call in sick for babysitting?!" I don't think that the labor board has addressed this area of employment yet so I figured I was out of luck.

My morning started off by me waking up and panicking! My alarm did NOT go off and I very specifically remembered setting it. It's 6:40 and I'm supposed to be there at 7:45- OUCH! I check my alarm- yes, I did it again. It's set for PM not AM! Darn it, why do I ALWAYS do that?! I really hate mornings. Worse than that are ALARM CLOCKS! And who on earth decided to create them with a SNOOZE BUTTON?! Isn't that the whole point of an alarm? For it to WAKE YOU UP? Not to allow you to postpone and continue sleeping past the time you originally intended to get up? Almost every morning I deal with this. I have the intention to go to the gym to work out and I hit snooze and miss out! Okay, I know this is a tangent but I'm passionate about alarms and snooze buttons and I really think that it's something that Satan uses to appeal to my flesh. Great I'm convicted about it again and now I need to go repent! AHHH!

Anyway, I manage to get up, get dressed and have some time with the Lord before we need to head on out to Canyon Lake. Pogo decided to drive and we had no time for coffee. OUCH! Well, it was going to be okay- surely they caffeinate right?! We get there and the kids are up (except for the boys). Don't they SLEEP IN?! Must be because they're homeschooled... that's probably what Sammy would say anyway. Tracy quickly has me finish making smoothies (shoot, do I know how to do that?!) and reassures us that we (Tawney or I) will not get 5 kids at a time but they come one at a time... hmmm, that's comforting! We get the kids their smoothies, watch Barney with Steph and realize it's probably time to get ready for game 1 of the day. The boys get themselves dressed while Pogo and I make lunches, pack snacks, get extra clothes and dress and groom the girls (not Jessy, she was gone). Stephanie has this runny nose (kinda yellow- GROSS) that she keeps wiping on her sleeve and I'm literally gagging telling her to go see Tawney or "Tommy" as Steph calls her to take care of it. We ended up brining a roll of toilet paper with us so Tawney could take care of that issue for the day. Anyway, we get everything packed in the car and we're out 9 minutes earlier than our schedule said. (would we get docked points for that?) Oh yeah, we totally put Steph in a pullup so we wouldn't have to deal with bathrooms... (sorry if we set back the potty training but it saved us!) We got to the field after Tawney parked the Beast and Steph wanted to go on the playground. About 10 minutes later Gerri Shack and Mariah showed up. I think we were both secretly relieved that Steph and Mariah could now keep each other entertained!!! We headed back over to the field to watch Nanno play and he scored twice! He played great. Meanwhile, Steph wants to go sleep in the car. We were at a loss for how to handle that one. We didn't even bring chairs or blankets!!! THAT wasn't on the itinerary or list of supplies! We snagged a blanket from the Morace's and had Steph lay down. That was short lived, Dani and Mariah wanted to play. Steph and Mariah fought over toys. Steph ended up with this plastic fish with a big fin on it. She and Mariah spotted George Shack and wanted to go say hi so they took off with all of us watching them. Steph decided to take a detour and was kinda tiptoeing behind some man's back. Tawney and I were kinda questioning one another about what she was doing when all of a sudden she poked that man with that big plastic fish in the butt!!! We both kinda looked at the ground so he wouldn't know she was with us! After the game we hearded all the kids to the car so we could get to game 2 of the day!

We get to the basketball game which was somewhat uneventful. Steph mooched some candy from a little girl, then she snuck some popcorn from some lady. When the lady offered her some she saw that Steph already got some and laughed. The game ended and again we trek to the car with all of our kids and bags. We were totally the bag ladies! We get in the car and Stephanie starts reprimanding me and telling me not to say butthead or stupid. I say to her that I didn't say it and then she again says not to say butthead or stupid. We go back and forth a few times when finally Nathaniel says, "Nickie, you're arguing with a 3 year old." Oh yeah, I forgot that!

We get home and put on a movie in hopes that Steph will take a nap. It worked! Although I fell asleep too! Sorry Pogo! The boys played Playstation, Jessy took a nap and Dani watch the movie and when I woke up she told me that I snore very loud. (I woke up before 7 on a SATURDAY!!! Give me a break!) We played Life with all of the kids and then I started dinner. Tracy and Robert came home. We all ate and hung out and now I'm home... MAN, that was a full day!!! I had a ton of fun though and loved every minute of it!

Do we agree that our pictures should be next to that definition now?! Who has pull with Webster? :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes I completely agree that our mugs should be plastered right next to the definition of exhausted! It was a great day and NEVER a dull moment... but they did wear me out!

The Dodson's are an amazing family... and it is nothing but a blessing to spend time with them :)

Unknown said...

WELL!!!! I laughed so hard. This might give me a bad rap....

You guys are awesome. Thanks a ton!!!! That is my life EVERYDAY.

Michelle said...

I would like you guys to babysit my kids w/ the Dodsons and our dogs. Then maybe you can officially be "exhausted".
Your blog entry was hilarious! Thanks for the laugh!