A distressed mom recently appealed for help about what to do with a biting child. She said her provider has told her that it is becoming a big problem and the pre-school was considering removing her if it could not be managed. She wrote that she didn't know how to get her 2-year-old biting child to stop, and that he bit a girl last week on the arm and the parents were understandably very upset.
A. Let's face it; a biting child is simply not fun to be around. And while a young biting child may not be exhibiting abnormal behavior, it's still not acceptable to other kids and certainly to other parents. Having said that, a biting child is a common concern in pre-school, mom's day out programs and provider settings, especially in the toddler years. So, what can a parent do to discourage the bad behavior of a biting child? 1) Firmly say "No bite!" and remove the biting child offender from the situation.2) Administer an appropriate consequence such as removal of the toy or a time-out for a biting child.
3) Lavish positive attention on the bitten toddler.
4) Use distraction between young kids and watch their interaction closely to avoid placing youngsters--especially one to be known to be a biting child--in a conflict situation.
I just got this info from an informative website about child behavior problems. I had to research this because I think an intervention is needed. Biting can be painful, hurtful and possibly annoying. Well, in the case that I'm speaking of it's not a 2 year old that needs to be addressed at all. In fact, it's a 22 year old! Her name is Rosy and she has a problem. I felt the mother's pain above as many friends tonight had to cope with Rosy and her inability to keep her teeth to herself. Several others fell victim to her aggressive behavior and will wake tomorrow with possible bruising. Well friends, an intervention is DEFINITELY in order. First we need to come up with a consequence for her misbehavior... should we lock her in a closet by herself? Next we are to pay special attention to those who have fallen prey to her aggression... Jenny, I'll let you take care of Josh and his wounds- Emily, are you in need of a hug due to your injuries??? Last, we need to all keep a close watch on her to be sure that she doesn't strike when one of us is unsuspecting. This may take some TEAMWORK, she's a wild one!
JUST KIDDING! Well, sort of. Rosy was crazy about her biting tonight... Another great night of American Idol come and gone. I'm thankful for some new friendships and lots of laughs. Maybe tomorrow I'll get to get in on the Rock Band action?!
Here's a GREAT video that I love just for a little fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment